Saturday, July 28, 2007

God Bless The Renner's

I think today was the first time I have ever attended an Estate Sale; I know it was the first for hubby. We planned to stop because we saw the sign several times along the drive to our local grocery store that is less than 2 miles away. Actually, the estate sale was in walking distance. We missed the first day of sale, Friday because of the hours but I was one of the first there today without the hub but I returned with him two more times before the day was over.
*
Granted, being that we are watching our finances closely, this was an odd decision to visit. For one we had never been to one and two, what exactly is an estate sale like?
*
I have to say, I experienced an abundance of emotions and felt the need to write about the couple who apparently lived here. A feeling of sadness surrounded me before I even stepped into the home. The sign on the door as if I were entering a store 'Open Come In' plus the banner and flags in the front yard grasped me like metal to magnets, put me in a daze. I wondered why am I doing this, how can I invade their privacy, where are they, what happen to them to do this, did someone die? The thoughts clouded my being. I was greeted by a woman that added to the twilight zone I felt I was in as I wondered from room to room.
*
I saw their life in everything that came into view. I suddenly missed my mom. I thought of families that have experience tragedy. What lead this family to liquidation; was it to financially cope with loss? I thought of loneliness, I thought of death...
*
Allow me to share... they were special people. The lady loved to sew, knit, embroider and make quilts. There were some lovely quilts. She had a room dedicated to her talent. Oodles and oodles of books, thread, yarn and materials to create. Another room was blocked off and I wondered if anyone was resting in there or was it the personal property they were keeping. I felt like I was invading when I entered what I presumed was the master bedroom. The bathroom had everything laid out even the used toothpaste and over the counter medicines. When I walked into the closet I wanted to cry seeing some of their clothes and shoes swallowed by the largeness of the area. I could tell they liked to hang flags and they were collectors of quality items. Beautiful china and crystal. Beautiful linens embroidered and pressed. I choked back the tears again when I realized the food in the pantry was for sale as well.
*
There was this doll, a large doll that was so incredibly real looking right down to the wrinkles and veins on the hands. The doll wore a wedding band and was rocking what one could only think was a grand child. Oh how I wanted this old woman so so bad but our finances said no. Good thing I don't use credit cards or that old woman doll would be home with me right now. I wanted this elephant lamp and a chipped elephant statue that the liquidation company was using as a door stop..ooooh that made me mad. I saw oodles of quality china, silver, crystal, collector items plus yarn and sewing items I wanted thinking I would appreciate the items for these people. I saw furniture I appreciated and this pink & green pitcher and I won't get started on things we could have used from the garage. I thank the Lord I did not have an open credit card. The prices were pretty reasonable. I felt drawn to support these people in some way so I purchased a pot with yellow dancing flowers that you would probably buy at Wal-mart for $9.99 but it was marked at $2.50 and I felt it was my way of helping. I took hubby back because we need some wood planks and they had some that were a steal of a price and selfishly I wanted him to experience the event so we could have a discussion about it. I felt a pang of sadness when I saw both of their reunion programs and some koozies with names and a significant date. I saw quality valuable items going for ridiculous prices and it seemed as if these people buying were oblivious to the fact there was a story behind every item. There is so much I want to mention about the things I saw, what I wanted, how I felt and the hoards of people acting as if it were a store and not someones life we all were rummaging through. I am not sure I can do this again... it tugged terribly at my heart and I will forever remember the wooden sign on the outside of the door"
*
Welcome
(pretty design)
The Renner's
*
Dear Lord Bless Them

0 Guest(s):